Creating a Responsive Classroom for Social, Emotional and Academic SuccessNorthside Catholic Academy administration and faculty are committed to creating a culture where students can learn in a safe, respectful environment in order to take academic risks and be challenged by their teachers to do their best. We understand that student success must also include their ability to pay attention, understand and regulate their emotions, and be able to work effectively in a team. Using a set of practices from the Responsive Classroom approach allows us to effectively include these social and emotional components into our academic lessons, as well as be more proactive when it comes to discipline. The focus is to guide children to use positive strategies in order to promote safety, respect, and responsibility. One way we do this is for teachers to show students what the expectations look like and are explicit as to what it means. Another strategy is how we start the day in our classrooms. Teachers at the Primary School hold morning meetings with their students and at the Middle School they hold Advisory Meetings. Teachers and students use this time to share, reflect and do a special greeting.
NCA Cares is our way of addressing the social and emotional competencies we are integrating into our academic content—Cooperation, Assertiveness, Responsibility, Empathy, and Self-Control. One of the ways we can assist our students with their social-emotional needs is to be certain we ensure a positive climate in our buildings. The following are just some of the values we instill at NCA:
- Focus on embracing and encouraging respect through kindness.
- Encourage our students’ efforts and enable them to learn the value of perserverance (grit) and experience the satisfaction of a job well done.
- Provide opportunities for giving and generosity without expecting anything in return.
- Assist students in helping them become the best version of themselves and to be grateful for their unique gifts and talents.
- Use our faith to guide us as to how we should treat others in order to create a sense of belonging, joy, and happiness.
The ability to communicate effectively, learn to lead, collaborate with others, and resolve conflict while accomplishing a task are pillars for success in life. Our hope is that through modeling these values at school and partnering with our families to share these beliefs, NCA will not only be building an environment for learning, but also preparing our students to achieve success in high school and life.